Friday, August 27, 2010

Do You Have Time for Google Realtime

Seems everyday tools, gadgets or widgets are popping up to help us with our intense online information overload...often just to keep us aware of the information we are overloaded with.

I wondered if it would be the same with Google Realtime. I was curious to learn if continual updates of online info on my topics of interest would be useful to me or simply remind me of all of the information I did not have time to wade through.

http://www.google.com/landing/realtime/

I choose as my topic Knowledge Transfer. To those of you who might raise an eyebrow and say...hmm, how about painting or cheesemaking for a change, I do have other interests. I wanted to find out if my work could be enhanced by online listings. So, I chose my topic and set a daily alert for myself.

So far, the jury on the question of information overload is out, but the tool is quite fun and probably useful, especially for anyone who spends a lot of time searching or surfing.

Mostly, I use it to quickly view what's being said, to spark new thought, to build on what I am working on or thinking about. It's still about context and connection for me most of the time, but if I want quickly take a pulse on what's up out there...this tool is worth the small amount of effort required.

The short video on Google Realtime's homepage is worth the time to quickly understand what is available.

No comments: